Friday, July 10, 2009

Let Me Play Through...Or Else!

Chris Rock’s classic joke about the O.J. Simpson murder trial came quickly to mind when I read Friday’s United Press International report about a man sentenced to 21 months in jail for clubbing a golfer in the foursome playing ahead of him.
“I don’t condone it. But I understand.”
Anyone who’s had the misfortune of playing with me often knows that I’m as impatient as they come out on the course. To make matters worse, I play weekly at a 9-hole public course where the only rule, seemingly, is there are no rules. If you don’t tee off by 8 a.m. at Candler Park, you run the risk of getting stuck behind groups of five or six; hackers toting more six packs per player than golf bags. Types who can’t spell the first three letters of “Golf Etiquette”.
So part of me pities this guy Nicholas Shampine who, according to the UPI story, has a long stay in the King County (Wash.) jail ahead of him because of an argument over slow play. Only part of me: Shampine’s foursome was the one accused of playing too slow.
He was convicted of using a golf club to fracture the skull of a man who waged a verbal complaint that turned physical.
According to the prosecution, Shampine admitted that, “I though that my brother was in trouble and, you know, I just, I snapped.”
Talk about your good walks spoiled...
PUNCH DRUNK LOVE: Get ready to view the British Open in Style Saturday, July 18 as Fore!BlackGolfers and the Dantanna’s sports grille at Atlanta's CNN Center host the "Wales, Whisky and Woods" bash. It’s FREE to all guests who RSVP by contacting rsvp@mrpratl.com. (Tell ‘em Scott sent ya.)
In addition to FREE FOOD and FREE SCOTCH WHISKY TASTINGS, spectacular skyline views from the deck and assorted giveaways, guests will also be treated to a signature cocktail dedicated to the shot Tiger Woods will need most to drive the slim fairways at Turnberry and win his 15th career Major. We call it “Tiger Punch”.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to network, create foursomes and talk “smack”!
Stay tuned to Fore!BlackGolfers for more details.


Photos: Flickr (chrisjensenyeah, thelunch_box)

No comments: